What To Do After An Accident
If you or a loved one was involved in a car accident, you may be overwhelmed with questions. You may not know how to respond to the medical, legal, logistical and emotional challenges you may face. The law firm of Smith & Griffith, LLP, based in Anderson, South Carolina, can help you understand how to proceed.
Practical Steps You Can Take To Protect Yourself Now
Our firm cannot give legal advice via this website. However, in general, there are things to do and things not to do after an automobile accident occurs. You can protect yourself and your family by:
- Reporting the accident to the police or sheriff. Having law enforcement document an accident is important.
- Getting prompt medical care. Don’t wait to get medical care if you or a family member was hurt. Not only can you jeopardize your health and recovery by not seeing a doctor, you can hurt your case and damage your credibility if your case goes to court.
- Seeking the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney. Your case may or may not require the help of a lawyer. Talk to a knowledgeable attorney about your case to determine whether you have the basis for a possible recovery.
- Not signing anything without legal advice. If you or a loved one was injured because of someone else’s negligence, that party’s insurance company will be looking for information it can use to deny your claim or minimize the amount of compensation you receive. It can be unwise to talk to insurance adjusters or representatives without seeking legal counsel first.
- Not accepting a settlement without talking to a lawyer. Do not accept a settlement for property damage or any other damage without proper legal advice. You are likely to receive a lowball offer that is not in your best interest.
Smith & Griffith, LLP, Can Help | We Offer A Free Consultation
Every personal injury case is different. Our attorneys can help you understand your legal rights and your options for moving forward. Contact us for a free consultation.